Friday, September 18, 2009

Carry On

Kevin Baxter has an article in today's Los Angeles Times that pours some water on the flames of the Dodgers/ Giants rivalry. But why, according to to Kevin Baxter, has the rivalry grown dormant? Dodger pitcher Randy Wolf has one theory...
"The rivalry, for the most part, is a lot more for the fans than it is for the players," he says. "It's fun for the fans to root for a team and actually despise a team. It's fun to just hate them."
There is a certain truth to that. In the modern era of free agency, players simply don't stay on one team long enough to have cross town hatred infused into their DNA. Rivalries exist, but by and large they're for the fans. As time passes, and players fade away, the memories of distaste are kept alive through recounted tales between friends, and by legends told to sons by their fathers. And so it was with me.

Up until I was twelve or thirteen I loathed the Giants simply because my Dad taught me to. Frankly speaking, he'll probably tell you it's one of the better things he's ever passed on to me! However, once I gained a further knowledge of the game, and of the players associated with it, I learned to despise the orange and black on my accord. And while I've never seen the on-field severity of Marichal/ Roseboro, a foul taste still lingers regarding the fatal shooting of a Giants fan after a game at Dodger Stadium in 2003.

As much as this spat between the teams might have cooled, I think anyone that sat in the left field pavilion whenever Barry Bonds came to town would disagree with that assertion. Additionally, parents might want to cover their children's ears when Brad Penny takes the mound tomorrow night. Sure, you don't see players swinging bats at each other anymore, but there are still numerous reasons to get amped for a Dodgers/ Giants series. In fact, when Nat and I are in attendance tonight it's safe to say we won't be aimlessly sitting on our hands. The rivalry might have cooled, but the embers are still glowing.

4 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

Left-field pavilion tonight?

Brandon said...

I have never sat in the LFP. Not to sound like some drunk, but the no alcohol policy rules that out. Besides, I'm there to watch a game, not do the wave, hit the beach ball, and taunt the oppositions fielders.

Sitting in field level tonight, but I've been known to sit anywhere. The worst seat at the stadium is still better than no seat at all right?

tim said...

As a participant, Brad Penny was booed long and loud by the large number of Dodger fans in attendance last Sunday at the Dodger-giant game in SF. In fact, the booing was probably louder and longer than the token cheering for a new addition to their team by the giant crowd.

Greg Zakwin said...

I sat in the LFP on Wednesday for the Manny Curtain Call Bobble giveaway, I had hoped to see batting practice and maybe snag a ball, but got there late. And by late I mean 10:45 for a 12:10 start time.

It wasn't terrible. I had shade and aside from a couple annoying moments I thought it was fine.

I've only been in the LFP a couple of times though.

But yes, any seat is better than no seat. And I would take field level over LFP just about every time.