Friday, September 25, 2009

A Sleeping Dodger

There isn't much I enjoy more than watching the Dodgers play baseball.

That declaration represents more than a expression of my infatuation, it's a piece of who I am. Lately however, I've found enjoyment in more trivial endeavors. After 153 games I can honestly say I've had enough. I'd go as far to pronounce that if the Dodgers weren't playoff bound I'd have checked out on the season weeks ago. With the Divisional race seemingly all but over it's hard to stay focused. Where potential excitement once existed, complacency now resides. I find myself easily distracted by meaningless happenings around me. When the Dodgers make a rare appearance on my television screen my mind quickly finds itself awash in a mental parade of meaningless. It's as if I've been bitten by a vampire that's seeking out only the blood that bleeds Blue.

I find these feelings ironic as this is the most I've enjoyed any Dodger season in my twenty-something years. Winning does that to you I guess. But as the Dodgers find themselves banging on the front door of the playoffs, I find myself more content to admire from afar with an occasional glance through the window. Certain things register a blip on my radar screen (Matt Kemp's outside chance at 30 home runs, Randy Wolf's impressive year and James Loney's quest to hit a home run at Dodger Stadium this season, which finally happened last week) but for the most part the plane is on autopilot, cruising high about the clouds.

With the season coming to a conclusion my steadfast admiration of the boys in Blue will no doubt regain the momentum seemingly lost over the past few series. The drama of October shall pour out, and with it my excitement, like a dam no longer able to hold back the water. For if there's one thing I like more than watching Dodger baseball, it's watching Dodger playoff baseball. Get ready for some magic.

5 comments:

Greg Zakwin said...

Loney homered at Dodger Stadium against Brad Penny last week.


http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=AnSGy2NPOPm1W9WZpfqeZgKFCLcF?gid=290919119

Brandon said...

See what I'm saying.

Greg Zakwin said...

Haha, golf clap.

tim said...

Set the alarm clock, kid. It's going to be exciting.

Fernando said...

Get out of my head, Brandon!