Sunday, January 25, 2009

Attendance In Doubt

The arm of resession has quite a reach, notes TJ Simers. Already visible in free-agent salaries the uncertainty remains in regards to fan attendance for the '09 season. According to Dodgers Chief Operating Officer, Dennis Mannion, the Dodgers are on pace to exceed last year's season ticket sales. While not confirmed, there's reason to believe that those who can afford season tickets aren't in any financial hardship in the first place. However, what about those who call Reserve Level home?

Personally, I attended thirteen games last season with six of those coming from a friend with season tickets. Of the times I attended on my own dime I spent (roughly) as follows per game:

2 seats in field box or loge level: $50 total (courtesy of buy one, get one free promotion package)
1 Parking Pass: $15 total
Standard Dinner for Self: $35 (2 beers, Camacho Nacho, Louisiana Hot Sausage)
Standard Dinner for Fiancee: $20 (Margarita, Dodger Dog, Nacho)

Total per game: $120

That equates to $840 spent on the Dodgers for the seven games I attended at my own expense. While not exactly breaking the bank, that's no small amount. For families of 4 it's reasonable to assume that attending seven games would set them back $1,500 - $2,000 per season.

In these tough economic times will families continue to attend at the pace of previous seasons? How often did you, fellow readers, attend games last season? Will you maintain that rate this year? Vote in the poll in the top right sidebar.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I threw down 2 hundy for a field level seat in the playoffs, otherwise went only when my boss offered me a ticket. If Manny falls back to the Dodgers, the McCourts will have to thank their lucky stars (and the horrible economy) that no one else made him a better offer. I could see real shockwave in non-attendance this year. You don't give somebody a taste of sugar, then throw the rest of it away. Matt Kemp needs to play with Manny a little longer.

TrueBlue said...

I re-upped my season seats only because my partner needs them for his business. I skipped the WBC and that is what I'm curious about. How many season ticket holders paid extra for that strip of tickets?

Todd said...

Knowing that when going to a game, I'm already going to blow $75+ on parking, alcohol, and food (just for myself), I rarely purchase tickets. Glad I know lots of people with season seats to bum free tickets off of.

Sitting back watching some HD baseball while listening to Vin is a formidable option to avoiding traffic, outrageous prices, and fans not amused with unruliness.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the innings 3-7 fans just not show up at all.

Brandon said...

Just so you all know, Todd holds the record for most beers consumed in the stadium parking lot before the game.

Nat said...

*-Most beers consumed in the shortest amount of time! We only had less than an hour i think.

Anonymous said...

Classy.