Monday, January 26, 2009

Bank of the West-ern Double Cheeseburger Field

For as long as I can remember I've been a golfer. Like the Dodgers, it's another fine pastime my father introduced me to. So I definitely took note this weekend when watching the Bob Hope [Chrysler] Classic and noticed that "Chrysler" was nowhere to be found. Apparently, I wasn't the only one.

As the Dodgers look to sell off naming rights to certain parts of the ballpark one must wonder if it's financially justifiable in today's present economy. Would a companies dollars be better spent developing new products or sponsoring the Loge Level bar area? Is it ok for DHL to sponsor the bullpen, but then have to layoff 8,000 workers in a small Ohio town?

I've always enjoyed Dodger Stadium for it's timeless beauty, and would hate for my favorite place on earth to become a blank canvas for companies to paint their logos on. I already HATE the Ad Banner as it blocks my view of the scoreboard from the seats I sometimes sit in. I understand that advertisements keep ticket costs down and help fund the salaries of the players; however, let's not whore out our stadium for a few extra dollars. One thing's for certain, the Dodgers better not be selling naming rights to the field. That belongs to Vin Scully.

1 comment:

Raider Karma said...

Remember when only minor league teams had ads on the outfield wall? Now every major league teams seems to be doing this. This is just part of the "Major League" syndrome. You know, the movie with Charlie Sheen and Wesley Snipes. In that movie the owner was such a miser that they sold ad space anywhere they could.