Saturday, July 25, 2009

Scully Recalls BobbleSlam

Three days later I'm still thinking about Manny's incredible slam.

I was in attendance for the moment, so I didn't get a chance to hear Vin Scully's call. Turns out, there wasn't much of one. From Ken Gurnick...
"After he hit it, I didn't speak for a long time", Scully said, 51 seconds, according to FSN producer Brad Zager. "That put me around the Henry Aaron call [in 1974, breaking Babe Ruth's all-time home run record], when I shut up and let the crowd tell the story. The thing about Ramirez, it was like a bolt of electricity. It was something that couldn't happen, and it did. And the camera does such a better job. On radio, I'd be talking. But on television, we showed a million shots and didn't have to say it. We showed it, including all that was happening in the dugout when Manny got back in there, as well as him bobbing his head and being called out for two curtain calls."
Hidden within the discussion of the BobbleSlam is this gem straight from the master himself...
Scully said the roar of the crowd "got me into this business. I would crawl under the radio with the speaker over my head and the roar of the crowd would come down on me like water out of a shower head."
Visualize that for a second. It'll bring a smile to your face.

Having trouble smiling? Perhaps this will help...


No comments: