Thursday, August 13, 2009

More On Martin

I wrote earlier how base-stealers are having more success running on Russell Martin the past two seasons than compared to 2006 and 2007. I concluded by stating I wasn't sure why; however, a recent article by Dylan Hernandez has shed more light on the situation...
In spring training, Martin changed his throwing technique -- upon receiving the ball, he brings the ball directly back to the side of his right ear so that he could release it quicker -- resulting in him nailing 23% of potential base-stealers compared to 19.5% last year. He refines his technique by performing a drill with bullpen catcher Mike Borzello before almost every game.
I'm not sure where Hernandez got the percentages listed above as Baseball Reference has Martin's 2009 thrown out rate at 28% (not 23%), and his 2008 success listed at 25% (not 19.5%). Regardless though of which stats are accurate, I'm not sure I understand why Martin is trying different techniques that result in less success than he experienced in 2006 (31%) and 2007 (33%). I know pitchers have an equal responsibility when it comes to allowing stolen bases, I just find it odd that Martin is trying new things instead of getting back to what worked so well in the past.

No comments: