Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I haven't really been in the mood to watch the Dodgers as of late. I don't know why, but the spark hasn't been there for me. Figures I'd pick this game to come back to.

It was well past 11pm before I fired up the DVR, and it wasn't long before the fast forward triangles quickly made an appearance at the bottom of my screen. The game was sailing along smoothly. The Dodgers were in control. And then suddenly everything went south.


Los Angeles was leading by three when Kuroda was hit in the head by a line drive in the sixth inning, and the stunned Dodgers watched the Arizona Diamondbacks rally for a 4-3 victory in 10 innings on Gerardo Parra's bases-loaded single.
It appears as if Kuroda will recover normally as "tests revealed a concussion but no fractures or internal bleeding." That's good news. But losing a starting pitcher for the immediate future, coupled with the continued struggles of Jonathan Broxton (1.0 IP, 2 ER) and Ramon Troncoso (0.1 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 2 BB) is most certainly not. Oh yeah, and there's this...
The Dodgers have lost six of eight and their NL West lead has dwindled to 4 1/2 games over Colorado -- their smallest edge since they led by four games on May 13.
What happened to Hiroki Kuroda was terrible, Jonathan Broxton was horrible, and Ramon Troncoso was no good. Losing ground in the division isn't quite lima beans for dinner, or kissing on TV, but coupled together they all made for a very bad day. If I wake up tomorrow with gum in my hair I'm moving to Australia.

Photo courtesy of Ross Franklin

No comments: