Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Baseball = Business

Eric Gagne agreed to a minor-league contract with the Brewers today, hoping to win a spot on the 40-man roster. If he does not make the roster, he has an out-clause that would return him to free agency.

More newsworthy was his conversation with GM Doug Melvin after the '08 season. Here's Melvin's recollection:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He [Gagne] came to me at the end of the season and told me he felt he didn't earn his [salary], that he didn't pitch the way he wanted to pitch for what he was being paid. He said he felt indebted to us to come back in and give it another shot for us. I didn't expect that, and I respect the fact that he stood up and said, 'I didn't pitch well.' He came to me and said, 'I'm sorry I disappointed you.' But he pitched well at the end of the year and that's what counted, so I give him a lot of credit for that."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, Gagne gives Milwaukee the ultimate home-town discount. I admire that. But wait, this sounds really familiar...

Here's an excerpt from a Ken Gurnick article which features Gagne speaking out just after the '06 season with the Dodgers (which would be his last with the team)...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I've been paid a lot of money the last two years, and I haven't been healthy...I'm sure if I had been healthy, I'd be in L.A. for sure the next couple of years. But I can't really do anything about it. I got hurt. Now I have to prove to everybody that I'm not hurt and I know I can show I'm fine."

Gurnick chimes in....

"When last heard from at season's end [offseason '06], Gagne was upbeat about recovering from his back and elbow surgeries, talking about a willingness to accept a hometown discount to return, acknowledging that he'd been 'a $10 million cheerleader.' "
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shortly after this, Gagne would sign a $6 million deal with the Texas Rangers for the '07 season.

Is memory loss a post-symptom of steroid use?

3 comments:

Brandon said...

For all the great memories that Gagne provided Dodger fans, he gave Texas/ Boston/ Milwaukee nothing but headaches.

I never saw someone lose confidence in themselves so quickly.

What does it say about the perception of a guy who earned $10 mil last season and now has to accept a minor league deal?

Moreover, what does it say about a GM (Melvin) that gives a player $10 mil after how he finished the previous season...6.75 ERA and a 1.875 WHIP.

Anonymous said...

There's no reason to trust ANY of these players, or to think that they aren't even currently taking things that aren't being tested for. They have been given a list of what's being tested, and drug makers are always ahead of drug testers. If the public wasn't outraged and Congress stepped in when it did, MLB still wouldn't be doing anything for the integrity of the game. Hank Aaron wasn't an alcoholic like the Babe was, and so the debate will last eternally. There's an argument that these guys are modern-day gladiators, that it's there for our entertainment, that if they die at age 50 and can't live to enjoy their millions- then it's their business. I will still remember leaving work early to sit in the right field bleachers for Bonds batting practice, and the seats being pelted like a hail storm- so I remain conflicted- memories vs. this notion of integrity and fair play.

Brandon said...

You are exactly right Vida. There are always going to be players that find a way around the system. And for so long, there wasn't even a proper "system" in place for baseball.

From section 2:

Samples will be tested for the following controlled substances: cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, opiates and phencyclidine (PCP). Other drugs may be added to this list if necessary and with prior notice.

While the policy said steroids were banned, baseball never tested for them.

I'm certainly not taking the players side on this one; however, how can you blame someone for taking steroids when others were doing it and becoming faster, stronger, and RICHER in the process with no risk other than personal health.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/baseball/index.html