Monday, February 23, 2009

Please Call It A Comeback

We've been quick to rip Jason Schmidt here at Reflections of Blue; however, with Schmidt set to take the mount today for an intra-squad game, we'll lay off the criticism and hold our collective breaths.

It's no secret that the current rotation is full of questions marks. And while Schmidt only brings more of them, there remains the faint possibility he could transform into an exclamation point for the Dodgers. Expecting 10+ wins might be on the lofty side, but a record of 8-5 would be a pleasant surprise in the eyes of many. While it has been almost two years since Schmidt threw a pitch in the major leagues, perhaps it's like riding that proverbial bike. Dodger fans need something more to remember him by that his home run off Jeff Francis back in 2007.

Though I personally carry no belief that Jason Schmidt will be beneficial to the Blue in 2009, I hold the sincerest hope that my assumptions prove to be mistaken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well so he threw 11 pitches today and came out okay. I'm just trying to think of any pitcher recently who has missed considerable time like this and come back to be any resemblance of the former self- and I'm coming up empty. Carpenter in St. Louis is in a similar situation, as well as Smoltz. Stick a fork in all of 'em.

Brandon said...

Tommy John missed all of the 1975 season and came back pretty strong, but is one season "considerable" time. I guess not.

As I said in my post I have zero faith in Jason Schmidt. If I had to handicap Schmidt's total starts this season I would set it at 12 and take the under.

Anonymous said...

I think it's going to be a drama all season, Mike Hampton would be a good comparison, with little things flaring up all the time. I thought his comment was great- "If I don't fall and trip between here and the clubhouse, then it will be a good day."